Saturday, February 7, 2015

Changes Ahead!

Oh hey blog world. Let's just jump in, shall we?

In the last week, I accepted a job I never thought I'd take and quit the job I thought I was going to be at for years to come. In two weeks, I will be moving up to the Bay Area. I will most likely be living in a hotel for a couple weeks until I get settled. I need to pack up my life and say "bye for now" to my friends here in Santa Barbara. I am terrified, but maybe not for the reasons you would think…

I'm going to be working for the property management firm exclusively for Facebook. I NEVER would have thought I would be working in Silicon Valley. But God knew. By a string of incredible circumstances, I already have a beautiful community of friends waiting for me in the Bay Area. I'm SURE that I have amazing experiences awaiting me at Facebook. And as far as a place to live, I have no doubt that God is lining that one up too. [but sooner rather than later would be great, thanks!]

So what is so scary then? Well, I realized that I am losing so many of the things I have been using to define myself. 



I loved the image that I had created for myself. I know a "good Christian" should never find identity in anything besides Christ. But guess what… that is hard. As much as I tried to keep that truth in my heart, I realized that I let every other thing define me. And my image became an idol to me. 

I was an engineer… but now that's no longer in my job title

I was a part-time wine pourer… but I had to quit that job 

I was a belly-dancer… but I had to leave my troupe

I was a kickboxer… but I had to quit that too

I was a roomie at The Hideaway… but I am moving out

hi roomies

So now I am going into a cool, new job… but I have never felt more "starting from square one" I no longer have "busy-ness" to hide behind. What do I say when people ask me what I like to do?

I don't have some great epiphany to end this post on. Honestly, I'm still scared. But I have complete faith that God is going to use this empty-ness to create something beautiful. I can't wait to document the changes that are going to happen in the months to come. Welcome to the new journey.


1 comment: