Monday, May 12, 2014

Beautiful: As Easy As 1-3-3

I believe in a life of transformation. I can look back in the past 5 years, 1 year, 6 months, 6 weeks, 6 DAYS ago and see the changes within me. God could be working on a thousand things in you, all while you are aware of about three, if that. These lessons can come easy or hard. But the ones that I loved most were accompanied by my racing heart. The ones that shoved me outside my comfort zone. Where I said I would never go. And when I returned, I would never be the same.

I always said that I’m not a runner. On April 26th I finished my first 5k. And guess what guys, I ran the whole 3.1 miles. (only stopped once to take a selfie, cause why not?) To some, that may not seem like much, but coming from a girl who started at like .25 miles that was a freakin miracle. And because I’m apparently crazy, I signed up for a 10k the next week. The “She is Beautiful” 10k race.

"I believe in sweating everyday. I believe running with your friends is better than therapy. I believe happy girls are the beautiful girls. I believe strong is pretty."

I don’t just want to run beside those girls. I want to be that girl. I want to live a beautiful life. I want to be transformed from the soul to my heart to my brain to my skin to my smile.  I want to dive into what it really means to be beautiful. And I want to start right now!

Today is Monday 5/12/2014 and the race is 9/21/2014. That is 133 days. Not a pretty number, not a clean number, but (God willing) it will be a beautiful number. For 133 days, I am going to focus on what it takes to feel and turn myself into a beautiful person. It will be trial and error. I will fail during it. I will probably be more wrong than right. But if there is one thing I know with all my heart, is that God can use anything given up to Him as a tool for His glory.

So, ladies (or curious gentlemen), what is beautiful? That’s going to be different for each and every person. I have my own thoughts, of course.

Too often, I feel like life is just reconciling with the two people that I am. The person that I see myself as right now, and the girl I want to be.

What is beautiful?

·         Being strong
·         Eating food that is colorful, fresh and nutritious for your body
·         Staying hydrated
·         Understanding beauty from many different eyes
·         Loving God above all else
·         A girl who loves the God's Word
·         Compassion
·         Generosity
·         Working really really hard
·         Smiling
·         Natural
·         Being content and comfortable in your skin
·         Confidence in your abilities
·         Listening to people who need to be heard
·         Being educated
·         Reading
·         Making music
·         Making art
·         Expanding your mind and interests
·         Travel
·         Humility
·         Modestly
·         New experiences
·         Family
·         Friends
·         Faith
·         Hope
·         Focusing outward
·         Times of Quiet
·         Purity
·         Giving up the need for control
·         Godly relationships
·         Simplicity
·         Courage
·         Responsibility
·         Grace
·         Kindness
·         Vulnerability
·         Passion
And so so soooooo much more!

A lot is going to happen in the next 133 days. Already planned are concerts, trips, parties, festivals, performances and lots of work. Unplanned are the moments of joy, pain, tears, vulnerability, grace and wonder. 

I’m not saying that I expect to be more attractive or get more dates by the end of this. I just know that I spend entirely too much money on lipstick and dresses and jewelry in vain attempts to feel pretty. And I still am plagued by crippling insecurity when I am around people who I deem prettier, funnier or cooler than I am. All while God tells me over and over that I am more precious than rubies and diamonds. My heart is not right. I want to change that.

So who is more beautiful?


This girl?
Or this girl?
 Well according to my Facebook profile pic… the answer would be left. But I hope that after all of this, I (as well as all of you) will be able to see beauty past the hair and make-up. I want to see beauty as we were designed to see it. I'm just not sure what that is yet...

The Game Plan:
Trick question… there isn’t one. I will try to write every day on beauty. But I may miss a day and that’s okay because that’s grace (and grace is beautiful… so problem solved) I want to focus on one or two of those ideas above each day. I want to do more and give my opinion less. I may add topics as we go on. I may listen to your ideas or those that surround me. It’s a journey. And I am so excited to take it with you internet world!

2 comments:

  1. This makes my heart so so so so so happy. Probably because YOU make my heart happy and I love you a whoooole lot, you beautiful girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Michelle. I'll look forward to following your progress.

    ReplyDelete