Thursday, June 19, 2014

The Joy You Were Created For

Has it really been over  a week since I last posted? I am so sorry. I promise you've all been on my heart and so has this mission. It's been a pretty trying week. Work has been insane and my dance schedule has ramped up for our performance next week. Then I add on race training and my second job and there you have it… I miss sleep!

So why do I do it? Why do I allow my schedule to be so jam packed?

Because these things brings me JOY

As silly as it sounds, doing all this stuff brings me joy. I love talking to new people at the winery. And while running isn't the most fun thing ever… there are moments of complete elation. (usually when it's over) Work doesn't exactly bring me joy, but it allows me to pay rent, and I kinda like that. 

When people link joy to fruits of the Spirit, they usually only think it's okay to have it when you're praying or worshiping. But, I really don't think God only made joy for those times. He created us all differently, with different skills and desires. We were made with great purpose. And when we pursue those purposes, we can feel it. We can feel the joy. 


My wonderful friend Amy turned me on to this quote. Eric Liddell was a missionary and an olympian. He was an incredibly wise man. And I think he hits it out of the park with this one. God made him with this passion. He did not make Eric fast for his own pride or self-worth, but so that when Eric does what he was made for, he is able to experience God's joy. God uses the things that bring us joy as tools to feel His happiness. 

I love to dance. I've never been shy on the dance floor, but it really came alive when I started taking belly dance lessons. When I start to dance, all my issues go away. I hear the music and my body matches with the rhythm and nothing else matters. Today, my teacher told me that my face lights up when I dance. I don't doubt it. God gave me this skill, and I can feel His joy when I use it. 




So what brings you joy? What were you designed to love and pursue? I know each answer will be different, but I can guarantee you that you look absolutely beautiful when you experience that joy. There's just something about the sparkle in someone's eye when they do what they love. And I hope that you embrace it. It was created exactly for you to experience. 

No comments:

Post a Comment