Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Beauty and Our Idols

I told God that I wanted to be challenged to really study beauty... be careful what you pray for.

Because I have this affinity for turning off my alarm, I woke up 15 minutes before I had to leave for work. That meant no make-up, wearing glasses, hair in a (slightly greasy) ponytail and the closest outfit I could find. Throughout the day, I could feel myself shrinking inward. I didn't want to talk to anyone and I didn't want to make decisions.

By the time I got home to sit down and talk to you about beauty, I felt farrrrrr from it. 



[Also, I wasn't planning on doing the "no-make-up" challenge this early in the game]

Today, I was stripped of the things I rely on to feel beautiful. Make-up, contact lenses, straight hair, poised outfit. As innocent as all of those things are, they are revealing themselves a idols in my heart. I am not saying that any of those things are bad… not at all! I love playing with different hair colors and shopping is one of my favorite pastimes. But when do sweet things stop being "nice-to-haves" and start being my IDENTITY?

Tim Keller hits it home with his 20 Questions Towards Diagnosing Heart Idols. Image Idolatry is when you only feel you have worth if you have a certain look or body image. And ya, that is extreme. But I would be lying to you if I said that I don't feel "less" when I'm not portraying my preferred image. If I am not the girl who always looks classic and put-together, who am I? Or even worse… would anyone want that girl?

Ladies, I can guarantee you that we were made by God. And when God made us, He didn't say, "Okay, I am only going to make her so-so and just hope that she finds some good make-up and hair products to be acceptable." NO WAY JOSE! We were designed beautifully, just as we are. No bells, no whistles, no $150 bill at Sephora necessary! (I'm so sorry Sephora, I really do love you)

So can we just reflect a bit? What if it was all taken away? All your favorite outfits and shoes? All your lipsticks and mascara? No contact lenses. And only "bad" hair days. It's okay to be disappointed, but would you DEVASTATED? Would you feel like less of the fearfully and wonderfully made (Psalms 139:14) woman that you are? 

[please don't tell me I'm alone in this] 

My heart isn't going to change by wishing it would. Or by throwing out all cosmetics and going cold turkey. I gotta pray that God opens my eyes. I want to see myself as He sees me. As I was designed to be. Beautiful and pure as snow. 
Here's a lil inspiration for ya - Emerald Bay, Tahoe

No comments:

Post a Comment