Monday, May 26, 2014

Tu Bonita: Part II

Beautiful is not in the brand of your clothes. It is not in the color of your lips. It is not in the gap between your thighs.

It is having a gentle spirit and touch
It is in a confident prayer
It is working really hard for someone else's sake


In a world of desolate poverty

I found some of the most incredible glimpses of beauty. 

"...the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight" 
1 Peter 3:4 NIV




I saw the most amazing hearts this weekend. Quiet doesn't always have to mean timid and meek. It is just not seeking extravagant attention. We did not work to show off how good we were at being on mission (cause we're not), instead we worked for God's glory. Working to give each person what they needed in the most humble and gentle way possible. Sometimes it was food or a roof over their head, and sometimes it was just a caring touch to let them know how loved they are. 


"Now, this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions of what we have asked of Him" 
1 John 5:14-15 NKJV

This one surprised me. I didn't realize how beautiful prayer really is, until this moment. A few of us were standing in one lady's new home. It was just built by the church. She asked us to pray for her son. A sweet boy with a tumor on his face, just on his right jawline. We prayed in some broken spanish, but mostly english. She probably understood very little of what we had to say. When we all opened our eyes, she was crying. She felt the spirit there, because the man prayed with confidence. There is something breathtaking about speaking to the creator of the earth, and KNOWING He hears your request. 

"Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not human masters"
Colossians 3:23 NIV


A small team broke off at one point to renovate a house. The family will be bringing home their premie (Israel, born at 28 weeks. Keep him in your prayers) and they needed some help. A few guys spent the day making those necessary renovations. They worked hard. Not to get paid and not for their own glory. But because that's what Jesus would do. (and I don't even think they had a WWJD bracelet!) I don't know how a bunch of men feel about being called beautiful, but they totally nailed it!

The team wore dirty clothes and our hair was never brushed, but I can guarantee you that God saw some true beauty in us this weekend. And I have to admit, I felt it. I want to continue this mission at home. 



I want to promote this beauty by approaching people with a sweet heart. 
By praying with confidence, KNOWING that God of the universe hears me
By working really hard by God's strength and for goodness. 

You just can't go wrong with that kind of beautiful. 




3 comments:

  1. That last picture is just AMAZING. I love our God, and I love how He used you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How amazing. I'm glad y'all had a good trip. I'm glad y'all felt the spirit of The Lord. Your blog has been such an inspiration to me, reading it truly helps me want to be a better person.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the sweet encouragement. I'm excited to see what this journey does in both of our lives!!!

      Delete