Saturday, May 31, 2014

Listen, And Not To Speak.

I don't really know how to start this one out. Lately, I've been talking a lot about beautiful things that effect myself. Grace. Gratitude. Perspective of beauty. But this one is different. Just recently I realized how beautiful it is to be the person that can listen. Like, truly listen. Not to give an opinion or advice. But just to listen for the plain fact that some people need to talk. 

Sometimes a person really wants to share their triumphs and lessons. People work really hard in their lives. What they learn and accomplish can mean a lot to them, but it's worth so much more when it is shared and multiplied. So give people that opportunity to teach you. Nothing can beat the feeling of having a real person in front of you taking in your words. 

And even more than the good stuff, it takes a truly beautiful person to listen to the ugly stuff. The problems. 

Just last night, one of my best friends was going through an emotional issue. When we first started the conversation, I tried to pick out the pieces of her story that I could use to come up with the best piece of advice to give. As she went on, I realized that while she was looking for advice, that's not what she really needed. She needed someone to hear her speak. She just needed to voice her emotions out loud, and I was someone who she trusted enough to hear them. 

It takes a beautiful person to be one who can just listen. It takes selflessness. It takes patience. It takes a trustworthy heart to hear these things but never repeat them. I'll be the first to admit I'm not good at it. But I know what it means to me to have a friend who can listen to my same pitfall over and over again without complaint or judgement. How beautiful would it be if I could be that same friend?

2 comments:

  1. Oh man, I need this reminder so often! I catch myself waiting for my turn to speak instead of actually hearing what someone is telling me. Love this one, lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is SO true and soooo good, Michelle! It's something I'm working on. There is power in a friend that listens! {And you are one of those.}

    ReplyDelete