Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Water: It's PRETTY Essential.

I know the last couple posts were strong. We are going to be dealing with some serious issues here. Beautiful in all aspects. Heart, mind, body, spirit, appearance. But today, let's keep it simple sweets! And especially since it was a sweltering 95 degrees today...

Let's talk about water. H2O. Agua. 

Ask any of my friends, and they would tell you that water is my cure for just about everything. It doesn't matter if you have a headache, dizziness, hunger, nausea… My first question would be "Have you had enough water today?" And the answer is usually no. When I was in Russia a couple years ago, I felt ill most of the time. I couldn't drink their water and had to keep buying bottles or drink hot sweet tea. That's when I realized how much I take available water for granted here. 

Did you know... 1 out of 9 people in the world do not have access to a clean water source? 

Well I didn't… until I ran [pun intended] into the Vines Into Water 5k benefiting Cause Life. Clean water is essential in to our health and well being. It is just about the best thing you can put into your body. Being properly hydrated: 
  • Energizes muscles by preventing muscle fatigue
  • Keeps skin hydrated and beautiful 
  • Flushes out toxins via good kidney function
  • Maintains a good PH balance
  • Keeps everything working as it was designed to!
Not to mention the feelings of being dehydrated just plain suck. 

So what does that have to do with beauty? Well… you can't feel beautiful if your body is lacking a vital need! We need to respect our bodies, and that means listening to what it needs. So today, I kept track of how much I was drinking.

I have like 3 of those bottles floating around, I'm constantly losing them. 
 
7am: Venti Iced Coffe (we'll work on that coffee addiction later)
9am: 24oz Water
12pm: 16oz Iced Tea
1:30pm: 24oz Water
3:30pm: 24oz Water
6pm (post workout): 24oz Water
8pm: 24oz Water

Thats a total of 136oz. Current science says that woman should be drinking 2.2 liters of water per day, thats roughly 72 ounces. It looks like I am well beyond that. Granted, I should subtract some for the coffee dehydration, freakin hot day and a work out. All in all though, I am feeling pretty good. 

So what if you don't like water? Well, there's no getting around it. Your body needs it to function. Unsweetened iced tea counts too! Or do what my roommate does… add some sliced fruit and let the water chill in the fridge for the night. Delicious and pinteresty all in one! And about 20% of your water should come from food. So keep those fruit and veggies flowing!

Remember… beautiful kidneys make a beautiful woman!
[or something like that]



No comments:

Post a Comment